1974 Kawasaki H2


I bought this bike 15 years ago with the intention of doing a light restoration and riding it. Unfortunately life got in the way and I have run out of momentum to finish the job. The bike was running when I began the disassembly. As you can see in the photographs, I completely disassembled the bike. In doing so, I took more than 100 pictures showing each step. Those pictures will be passed along to the new owner. Most of the work has been done except the final assembly. Thus far, I have completed the following: Frame and other painted components sanded and repainted (excluding tank, side covers and rear fender extension)Engine removed, cleaned and inspected (good compression across all cylinders)Clutch disassembled, cleaned, oiled and reassembled.Engine reinstalledWheels cleaned and all rust removed from spokes (although, after sitting in my garage more than 10 years, some surface rust is returning)New Pirelli Sport Demon tires and tubes installedSeals replaced in front forksRear brake components cleanedForks, front wheel, rear wheel and brake components reinstalledSeat recovered Tank interior de-rusted using electrolysis and interior of tank coated with zinc using electrolysis (see picture)Disc brake master and slave cylinders rebuilt Carburetors rebuiltMost everything has been cleaned to prepare for final assembly.The original speedometer (or tachometer – I forget) had a cracked cable attachment point. So, I purchased new/used speedometer and tachometer with the intention of transferring the guts to new housings, but, never got around to it.New cablesNew mirrorsNew/Used turn signalsNew rubber components of various typesNew handlebars The issues which you may or may not choose to address are as follows: The bike has expansion chambers rather than stock exhaust pipes. I included one picture that shows their attachment. They are serviceable and pretty neat looking, but really loud. There are some some significant scrapes on the pipes (looks like some fast cornering) and they need to have all the carbon removed.There is no air cleaner box or snorkel. Each carburetor has its own air cleaner.The center stand is missing. I could not find a center stand for a ’74 H2, so, I bought a center stand from another year H2 which I intended to modify to work with this bike. Again, I never got around to it, but, that off-year center stand is included.I do not have the original tool kit or spare spark plug holderThe front fender has a ding on top which was caused by over-compression of the front fork and the fork-mount striking the top of the fender. I think this occurred in transport of the bike.A number of the chrome components now need to be carefully cleaned to remove staining and any pitting. The wheels appear to still be in pretty good shape since I cleaned them up about 10 years ago. The front fender needs some careful cleanup as you can see in the closeup picture. I never got around to cleaning it up. I carefully cleaned all the spokes about 10 years ago and they had no rust on them. After sitting in my garage more than 10 years, some surface rust is appearing. Apparently, sometime before I bought the bike, there was a fuel leak at the petcock valve and gasoline was allowed to collect on the corner of the tank. This caused wrinkling of the paint on the bottom of that corner. I included a picture of this paint damage. Personally, I was going to leave it alone as it was not very noticeable when the tank was mounted.The interior of the side covers should be sanded and repainted. Apparently, they were only primed on the interior and over time, some surface rust has begun to appear. This does not affect the external appearance of the side covers.I am not sure if I have the 750 emblems for the side covers. I thought I did, but I didn’t do a care search of everything to locate them. In any case, they are available. I did buy new side cover grommets and mounting bolts. I just couldn’t find a record of me buying the emblems.I am pretty sure I never bought tank decals. Frankly, I like the tank better as it is.I like the candy apple red paint. It is in good shape, there are very few flaws and I had no intention of repainting it a stock color. But, if you are doing a full restoration, you will want to repaint it a stock color and add the tank decals. The current state of assembly is shown in the picture with the 3 exhaust expansion chambers in front of the bike and 4 yellow and black storage bins behind the bike. All the loose parts are wrapped and packed in the storage bins and ready for shipment with the bike and exhaust pipes. The bins are quite sturdy and I had the bike and bins moved more than a 1000 miles a year ago with no damage.